About 90 percent of pregnant woman get stretch marks. These usually appear across the abdomen, although they can also be seen on the thighs, hips, breasts, and the upper arms.
- Nothing you can apply to the skin including oil, and nothing you can eat will prevent stretch marks
- Over time they may diminish, but will not disappear completely
- Because of breakdown of protein in the skin by high levels of pregancy hormones, stretch marks tend to appear
- Pregnacy stretch marks might be related to genetics
- Stretch marks sometimes appear because rapidly gain or lose weight
There’s no way to prevent stretch marks completely, even if you regularly use lotions and creams. However, keeping your weight in a healthy range by eating well and exercising regularly can help to prevent stretch marks caused by sudden weight gain or loss.